IRC Tutorial

Questions and advice for new players

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Newbie Forum is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or any other disruptive posts may result in punitive action.
Juke
yardmin
yardmin

IRC Tutorial

Post by Juke »

Welcome to our IRC Tutorial. This document is designed to help you get running and familiar with our IRC channels, hosted on synIRC.

What is IRC?

IRC stands for "Internet Relay Chat", and is used to represent chatroom networks where people from all over can get together. Many networks have multiple servers, giving the users multiple sites to connect from. To connect, you need an IRC client, of which there are many. This tutorial is about mIRC, a shareware program. After a month you'll need to click past annoying "buy me" menus but it will still function. There are other IRC clients you can use.

Why IRC?

Sometimes less is more. IRC has been around for over a decade and will probably stick around for a lot longer because it uses so few of your computer's resources. This means most users leave it running as long as their computer is on, and people can chat live or in effect "leave messages" for others to read later.

How to Install mIRC

Installing mIRC is simple. Simply download the file from http://www.mirc.com and run it. The install file asks you for the directory, defaulting to C:\Program Files\mIRC, and that's it! Everything else is automated. If it seems too complicated for you then following will help you.

But if it seems too complicated for you then following will help you.

Connecting to IRC

Connecting to IRC is almost as easy as installing it. When you first run the program, the options window pops up with a small form to fill out.

In the box where it says Full Name, just enter your first name, or perhaps a character name. This isn't displayed, but it's a good precaution to not put much personal information into these windows. The same carries for the E-Mail Address box.

Finally, you have the Nickname and Alternative boxes. These are what control the name you appear as, so pick whatever you want. If someone already has the nickname you put in the first box, mIRC will try to set you to the alternative. If neither work, it will prompt you for a different nickname.

At the bottom of the menu is a checkbox labelled Invisible Mode. Basically, this has to do with people being able to check if you're connected without knowing your nickname, like listing all the nicknames on the server. We suggest you put a check in this box, just for privacy and security.

Click OK to get out of this menu.

Now you'll be staring at a window that is prompting you for a command. This is called the Status window (or Server window once you connect)

Type /server irc.synirc.net to connect to the correct IRC server. You'll see a lot of messages produced by IRC and some sent by the server to you as the "message of the day" if you connect.

You may also get this:

Uncheck "pop up on connect" and hit OK to get rid of it.

Now that you're connected, if you want to see a listing of the channels currently open, type in /list , but since you already know the channel name, you don't have to do that. The command to join a channel is /join #Channel Name. Remember the pound sign # as all channels are preceded by this.

Try it out by typing /join #SZR

If you try to join a channel that doesn't exist (has 0 members) the channel is created for you. You can use this to make a new channel to chat in, and invite others to come chat with you.
Nickserv

synIRC has a feature called Nickserv, which allows you to 'register' your nickname, so nobody else can use it. The command to do this is /msg nickserv register password email . It's important to use a password you'll remember, and to put in a real email address. You'll need to check your email and verify your address to finish registration, and if you forget your password, they'll use that email address to send you a reminder.

Once you register your nickname, you'll have to identify yourself every time you log in or change your nickname to the registered one. The command to do that is /msg nickserv identify password . Once you do that, you'll get a message that tells you you've been identified.

To prevent the nickserv from becoming filled with unused old names, if you don't log on for an extended time span there's a good chance that your nickname will be reclaimed, and you'll have to register it again.

Other Useful Commands

IRC has a vast range of commands and abilities, but most of them aren't needed by most of us. There are a few that are important to know though, and you might find yourself using a lot.

/me does stuff
It's like an IRC emote. * Virgil throws a large rock at Marduk
/nick nickname
Changes your nickname
/part
Leaves the channel you type it in
/quit
Quits IRC
/msg nick message
Sends a private message to the nick you specify

If you need to know how to do something else, the best way learn how is to ask in the #help channel.

Automating Your Connection

One of the most useful features of mIRC is buried in the options menu. Usually when you log into IRC, there's a few things you want to do - set your nick, identify yourself to nickserv, and join one or more channels. mIRC can let you do this automatically, if you set it up.

To do this, do the following steps.

Open the options menu, it's under Tools | Options
Make sure the 'tree' under Connect is open, by clicking on the small + next to it
Choose the Options category, and do the following things:
Check the Connect on startup box
Check the Reconnect on disconnection box
Uncheck the Pop up connection dialogue on startup box
Check the Move to top of list on connect box
Now open the IRC tree, by clicking on the small +
Choose the Perform category, and do these things:
Check the On connect, perform these commands box
Fill in the box with the commands you would type at the beginning. It might look like this:

/nick YourNick
/msg nickserv id password
/join #SZR

And that's it! If you did everything correctly, next time you run the program you can just sit back (or wander off to get a drink), and before you know it you'll be identified and sitting in all your usual channels.

The End

And that's it, the things listed here should get you connected, running, and chatting with the least amount of frustration possible. If you have any other questions once you are connected, just type in /join #help to chat with a number of IRC pros who would be more than happy to help you. Or you can go visit IRChelp.org.

Tutorial mostly stolen from http://www.escapistmagazine.com/chat
Rachael
hotdogmin
hotdogmin

Re: IRC Tutorial

Post by Rachael »

There are special szr irc channels for gangs / factions
they are not available to the general public, so you will need to be given permission to join.

If you are in a family, and you are a leader, you should be in this IRC channel, because it will show you information taken from the server. The way to take most advantage from this is to idle in the channel 24/7, that way you will have a record of everything to do with your gang ( I suggest you enable IRC logging for this )

Joining a family channel

You will need to register. You will need to identify your nick every time you join. Otherwise you will be kicked and banned from the channel. It is easy to remember this if you use nickserv to auto join.

lets say you want to join #szr.famtwo ( this is just an example )
type /ns ajoin add #szr.famtwo
now when you /ns identify <your password> you will auto join the channel.

giving other people access
If you are a leader you will be given admin for the channel, then you can invite newly registered users to join
you can see who has access by typing /cs access #szr.famtwo list

You will see several different tags, in descending order
SOP - admin (&)
AOP - op (@)
HOP - half op (%)
VOP - voice (+)

if you are AOP, you can add HOPs, HOPs can add VOPs and so on
type /cs HOP #szr.famtwo ADD <nickname>
remember that you can only add registered nicknames

if you accidentally join before identifying, you can unban yourself with /cs unban #szr.famtwo

information from the server
You will see all faction chat, and connection / disconnection notices.
You will see all fbank and flocker transactions
you can check fbalance, and /families

type !help for a list of commands
type !irchelp for a list of irc commands

remember that IRC commands start with / , while szr commands start with !

getting access
if you want access to your family IRC, you should first register your nickname ( try to use something similar or the same as your ingame name )
then /join #szr
Go ingame and /report ( once only please ) and I will give you access as soon as I can.
[IMG]
Juke
yardmin
yardmin

Post by Juke »

In IRC, some game admins will be marked with a @ or ~ before their name. Do not PM them without asking for permission first.

Some people are mean jerks who like to pick on newbies. The only 100% reliable information comes from people with suffixes on their name (+, %, @, or ~) indicating they have voice, half op, op, or founder, respectively.

DO NOT use IRC to file complaints, unban mes, or anything else that should be handled via forums.

Almost everyone in IRC is idling there. That means they may not be at the keyboard. Don't get discouraged if you come in and say hi and no one answers you.

Anything and everything said in IRC is OOC. A lot of major players in the server hang out there, and information gets tossed around a lot. Anything you hear in the channel can NOT be used in game.
Freddo_Brazzi
keep your distance i'm a carrier

Post by Freddo_Brazzi »

Open the options menu, it's under File | Options
Make sure the 'tree' under Connect is open, by clicking on the small + next to it
Choose the Options category, and do the following things:
Check the Connect on startup box
Check the Reconnect on disconnection box
Uncheck the Pop up connection dialogue on startup box
Check the Move to top of list on connect box
Now open the IRC tree, by clicking on the small +
Choose the Perform category, and do these things:
Check the On connect, perform these commands box

I'm finding it hard to find that 'tree', some help please.
Adj

Post by Adj »

Haha the tree is symbolic for the structure of the menu, as it has submenu's.

If you click on the [+] in front of 'Connect', you will 'open the tree' and submenu items appear. Just don't look for an actual tree.
Tom Damon

Post by Tom Damon »

Jonas_Miller wrote:i want know When the wipe
Elvis_Black wrote:Jonas Your Will Be Fuckin Dont be like nob stop postin any where and you just say want to know when the wipe go to hell
and you write too i want to know when the wipe not to post it in bug report
Silver_Leo wrote:It's like watching a downie and an autist bitchslap eachother :cripes:
Juke
yardmin
yardmin

Post by Juke »

Tom Damon wrote:I can't enter help :|
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/lalalla.png/
In every version I've seen where you see "exit" it turns into "continue" after a while. If that isn't the case for whatever reason...

You could either buy mIRC or get another client like http://www.xchat.org/ , http://www.icechat.net/ or http://www.hydrairc.com/

There are also good multi-service clients that will let you connect to AIM, MSN, etc. as well as IRC like http://www.miranda-im.org/ or http://www.trillian.im/

Note that these will all function a bit differently than mIRC but should be similar enough that you can figure it out
Adj

Post by Adj »

Also I've heard from some that when 'exit' doesn't change in 'continue', it sometimes did change when they restarted the program a few times.
Tyrone_Phillips
Abuses Ads for Free
Game Name(s): Tyrone_Phillips

Post by Tyrone_Phillips »

Tom Damon wrote:I can't enter help :|
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/20/lalalla.png/
mIRC is sort-of-free software, and will randomly block you from accessing it for 24 hours (from my experiences).

Anyways, I have a few useful mIRC tips.
----------------------------------------------------------------
mIRC Tip #1: Creating a login script!

When you are completely logged on to mIRC, and are ready to chat, go to the top left and choose the "Tools" menu, and click on "Scripts Editor". Alternatively, you can simply press Alt + R.

This will bring up a new window. Here, you will click on the "Aliases" tab and see text similar to this. To create the /login command, simply type /login (or whatever command you want to log you in) followed by "/msg NickServ IDENTIFY ***YOUR NICKNAME PASSWORD HERE***".

Now, when you connect to IRC, you can simply type /login (or whatever you set it to), and you will be automatically logged into your nickname.

mIRC Tip #2: Color coded OP status!

Once you are logged on to mIRC, right click on any name in the right hand list and select the "Info" button.

A new window will pop up once you click on "Info". At the top of this new window, click on the "Nick Colors" tab. Here, click on the "Add" button and a second window will pop up. Here, you can select the color of the OP status you wish to set, and the symbol of that status (both are marked by blue arrows). Keep in mind that "&" and "~" are full admin, "@" is Admin OP, "%" is Half OP, and "+" is Voice OP. Be sure to check the "Channel modes" box, to make sure that it searches for the text in the modes of a user, rather than the name of a user.

Also be sure to keep the highest power OP's on top of the lower-power ones, since everyone has the modes below its power level by using the "Up" and "Down" buttons. For example, if the blue "+" mode was above everything, anyone with an "@", "~" or "&" would show up as blue, which completely negates the reason for doing the entire process in the first place.

Here is what the final results will look like, if you copy my setup exactly:

The names of people will also appear as their designated color in the chat, allowing you to easily pick out what is probably important (colored), from what is probably not important (not colored).

"[1/4/13] * @RPTV (~[email protected]) Quit (Quit: sorry bro mom has to check email)"
Freddo_Brazzi

Post by Freddo_Brazzi »

I did register and identify myself. Then i tried joining #szr.fam4. It said im not permitted to be in that channel. Then i got banned and i cant unban myself, it said *Chanserv permission denied*
Help please.
Rachael
hotdogmin
hotdogmin

Post by Rachael »

try again
/cs unban #szr.fam4
/join #szr.fam4
[IMG]
Freddo_Brazzi

Post by Freddo_Brazzi »

Worked. Could i be set as admin
Tom Damon

Post by Tom Damon »

Same here I am trying to unban it, it says Permission denied
Elvis_Black wrote:Jonas Your Will Be Fuckin Dont be like nob stop postin any where and you just say want to know when the wipe go to hell
Silver_Leo wrote:It's like watching a downie and an autist bitchslap eachother :cripes:
Jason_Bourne
super kawaii ^_^!!!!!!!!

Post by Jason_Bourne »

Rachael wrote:try again
/cs unban #szr.fam4
/join #szr.fam4
This only works if you are AOP or higher in the channel.
David 'The love guru' Webb - INTERNET SEDUCTION MASTER OF SZR
Enjoyable in 69 ways

*Al_Yu* [David_Webb]: /me gets a grin on his face.
*Al_Yu* [David_Webb]: /me rips those pants off Rebeca.
*Al_Yu* [David_Webb]: /accept sex
*Al_Yu* [David_Webb]: /su 76 Prostitution
Rachael
hotdogmin
hotdogmin

Post by Rachael »

halfops should be able to do it
[IMG]
Tom Damon

Post by Tom Damon »

Miquel helped me with this
Tyrone_Phillips
Abuses Ads for Free

I wasn't able to unban myself from the news channel until I was given AOP. Maybe something is just set up wrong?

"[1/4/13] * @RPTV (~[email protected]) Quit (Quit: sorry bro mom has to check email)"
Rachael
hotdogmin
hotdogmin

Post by Rachael »

ok maybe you are right sorry
[IMG]
Tyrone_Phillips
Abuses Ads for Free

"Maybe"? I am always right :smug:

.........JK I am a man :(

Rachael
hotdogmin
hotdogmin

Post by Rachael »

apparantly this is the download, dont trust it because I posted it because someone else pasted it

http://download.cnet.com/3001-2150_4-10 ... t=dl-50355
[IMG]
Jason_Bourne
super kawaii ^_^!!!!!!!!

Post by Jason_Bourne »

That seems to be a download link for mIRC and not related to the unban me issue. The AOP thing is an IRC Network setting by default so it's nothing which is easily changed.

As for IRC clients, Xchat is free and doesn't require a purchase, just google "Xchat free".

And if you want to identify without having to type a command, do this:

(In mIRC) Hit alt+r which will fire up the remote tab under scripts editor.
Then paste this whole line into a blank new line:

Code: Select all

on *:NOTICE:*registered and protected*:*:{ if ($me == YOURNICK) { .msg nickserv identify YOURPASS | haltdef } }
Be sure to add your nick/password for it to work.

What this does is it sends the identify command to the Nickserv when you're given the notice that the nick you're using is registered. So all you have to do is hit connect and then you can join whatever channel you have access to.
Enjoyable in 69 ways

Zaph

Post by Zaph »

Also, if you want something straight forward and easy on the eye, you can get Chatzilla for Firefox. It's all I use (because I'm not a nerdy ass irc user hehe)
<Ando> lets fucking make out.
)) <> ((
Tyrone_Phillips
Abuses Ads for Free

on *:NOTICE:*registered and protected*:*:{ if ($me == YOURNICK) { .msg nickserv identify YOURPASS | haltdef } }
Wouldn't you want that to be /msg? Just saying, because it seems as if that would put your password into the chat for everyone to see.

Jason_Bourne
super kawaii ^_^!!!!!!!!

Post by Jason_Bourne »

Tyrone_Phillips wrote:
Wouldn't you want that to be /msg? Just saying, because it seems as if that would put your password into the chat for everyone to see.
It's ".msg" and it still has a "nick" in this case being "nickserv" to send it to. Sending it to a channel would require the second part to be $channel so no, don't sweat it.
Enjoyable in 69 ways