Train

For bug reports that have been addressed or are not longer relevant

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

John_Jackson

Train

Post by John_Jackson »

Why doesn't SZR have a train on it? That would make it a lot easier to get from island to island and hard-to-reach places within Los Santos. Why not make it like a job, where there is a set engineer who carries passengers from stop-to-stop, much like the Taxis do. Doesn't anyone else think this is a good idea?
Keegan_Russo

Re: Train

Post by Keegan_Russo »

John_Jackson wrote:Why doesn't SZR have a train on it? That would make it a lot easier to get from island to island and hard-to-reach places within Los Santos. Why not make it like a job, where there is a set engineer who carries passengers from stop-to-stop, much like the Taxis do. Doesn't anyone else think this is a good idea?
While I like the idea, I dont think there is enough demand for it yet.

One of the greatest moments on the other server was durring a round of OJ and watching someone plow a train into the escaping Bronco. :neck:
Always remember the 3 B's of law enforcement:

1. Be professional
2. Be polite
3. Be ready to kill everyone you meet.
Finn
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Finn »

Make trains taxi-only, please. Can't have the public transit system at odds with itself, now can we?

EDIT: If we can find a way to make them unaffected by the /modcar command, as I've heard that can have horrifying consequences.
Rob

Post by Rob »

trains are still pretty broken. Greg spawned one for me and Elroy a while back for testing and it didn't work. Nobody could enter the driver's seat and there could only be one passenger.
Zaph: it's like watching cavemen on another planet coming up with how to make the wheel
Jonathan_Ashley: all of those cavemen were abducted by advanced aliens and shown the wheel but at different times and are all trying to hide that they were anally probed

John_Jackson

Post by John_Jackson »

Yes, but couldn't you mod the train so that when you say /enter it takes you inside (sort of like the private jet thing)?
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ari_Papadopoulos »

John_Jackson wrote:Yes, but couldn't you mod the train so that when you say /enter it takes you inside (sort of like the private jet thing)?
This is actually a great idea, that I imagine would work... Coders? Could work for the bus, too, even!
Lisye_Buck: this aint fucking role play **
Lisye_Buck: this is fucking retard **
Lisye_Buck: thats bullfuck **

Report from Jay_daWop_Gomezabino: cops arrested me, put me in the car so turtle would bite me to death

Report from Kate_West: (( i will your mother and sister and sisterfucker ))
Thesoldier
Donut Chaser
Game Name(s): Daniel_Peters

Post by Thesoldier »

We tried this once a long time ago, and it made the server buggy as shit iirc
Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

Spawning the train is probably really buggy, yeah, but I don't believe a train that's actually coded in would be that buggy. We have no problems with the train or the tram that brains coded into Goon Theft Auto. And we do some pretty crazy shit with it, like launching cars a thousand feet in the air.

Then again, I don't think there is much of a demand for a train. It's boring as hell to drive, it can only carry one passenger, and criminals could easily use it to run from the cops forever.
this post was a Serious Post, handcrafted with care for Rachael
Hot Rod III
Game Name(s): i drive a yellow car

Post by Hot Rod III »

The train is a desynced laggy abortion of code and can't be made into a consistent useful entity, it will constantly respawn while people are still driving it and not appear for new players effectively forming infinite invisible trains.
Image Image Image
SALMON

Post by SALMON »

The only problems I know of with the train on Goon Theft Auto are a)it's pretty tough to actually enter the train (I think because entering it is controlled by the server, rather than the client as with most vehicles, so you may appear to be standing next to it, but the server thinks you aren't, due to vehicles being completely unsynced when there is no driver) and b) the cars stay behind when the train respawns. If we had a train with no cars, a command to enter as the driver, regardless of whether or not you are standing near the train, and another command to go into an interior linked to it similar to the shamal it should be fine. I don't see much of a point to it though because there isn't really a reason to go to the other cities, and even if there were it'd faster to just drive there directly.
pichers