Colors

Place all new suggestions here, for easy viewing.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Suggestions is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or anything other than suggestions or constructive criticism may result in punitive action.
horatio
kinda dump

Colors

Post by horatio »

As someone who wasn't around when colors were here (I joined mid-December '07), I was a bit skeptical about how useful colors could be.

However, with the pub gangs using colors, it's been extremely useful. Instead of spamming /families because a lot of skins look just like other skins, you know right away. For new guys it makes them want to be in a family because they will see almost the entire server in colors. It just makes things much easier and I don't really see the point of the whole /families system.

Someone, I think tmm not sure, was able to find about 16 colors. That's enough for taxi, 2 pub gangs, admins, news, FBI, LSPD, and 9 gangs. I don't think there is any need for more than 9 gangs.

Would this be a huge ordeal to code? Or do people generally like the /families system now? How about a combination of both and just assigning colors to each family?
Raskolnikov

Re: Colors

Post by Raskolnikov »

The only reason I like /families is that it shows you the ranks of the members that are on however I would support a combined /families and colors system.
[23:09:07] <Raskolnikov> I dunno what percentage of the UK do the Irish make up
[23:09:17] <Jerod_Jackal> The drunk percentage.
Bruno_me
Game Name(s): Biff Longtorso

Post by Bruno_me »

I personally prefer colors, so yeah.

Anyway, we're actually working on tearing out a lot of the team/faction/family code and unifying it into one field/management system. We're tentatively thinking this will be implemented in build 57 (we're on 55 right now). I'll ask the coders if we can put it in as well, or make it a per-user setting.
™©§<º))))>\m/<.·´¯`·.·÷±‡±(Bruno_me)±‡±÷¸.·´¯`·.¸>\m/<((((º>§©™

~*~ sigs off ~*~

<Racha3l> what means this
<Racha3l> [06:54:50] Detected possible bot from (86.144.252.111)
<Keru> SALMON watches a lot of Sailor Moon, I have proof
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

i wasn't around when colors were removed either, but we were running into the problem of having too many gangs and too many similar colors back before that, so it might have had something to do with that. i also personally like having colors, and the experiment of bringing them back for the pubbie gangs seems to be doing well, so don't be surprised if they make a return for everyone in a build or two. also speaking of which, the vagos are being changed to a dark gold color from the old aztecas colors they have now in build 56.
Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

Here's what I came up with a few weeks ago when we were discussing it in chat. I tried to get the original colors as close as possible, and they're bolded.

0 - Admins, 3 - Mafia, 6 - Taxi, 13 - Yakuza, 65 - Vagos, 66- Fecal Matter Gang, 77 - Bikers, 79 - Cops, 85 - Ballas, 86 - Grove, 93 - Azteca, 118 - Rollers or byrdang or whatever, 123 - Homeless (no more hobos, can probably be given to someone else), 126 - Some gay gang

Plus whatever colors FBI and News are, I couldn't quite figure those out.

Obviously some of these may be off, does anyone still have access to the original gang colors?

So that's 11 gang colors, plus the 5 colors for admins/public service factions. I think right now only 9 of the 12 family slots are even being used, plus the Vagos and Ballas. That makes eleven. Why not just cut off any more shitty gangs from being formed so that the problem of additional colors won't arise down the road?

Edit: of course there are awesome neon colors that range from like 127-200. A few gangs could get some of those if needed.
this post was a Serious Post, handcrafted with care for Rachael
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

player colors can be pretty much any hex value, they don't have to be limited to ones in that vehicle color chart, so just i just use any old hex color picker when choosing them.
Bruno_me
Game Name(s): Biff Longtorso

Post by Bruno_me »

the color picker thing in the forum spits out hex btw, so you could use that!
™©§<º))))>\m/<.·´¯`·.·÷±‡±(Bruno_me)±‡±÷¸.·´¯`·.¸>\m/<((((º>§©™

~*~ sigs off ~*~

<Racha3l> what means this
<Racha3l> [06:54:50] Detected possible bot from (86.144.252.111)
<Keru> SALMON watches a lot of Sailor Moon, I have proof
Nurgle
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nurgle »

I don't think anyone here has a vehement hate of colours and I personally have never really cared either way. At this point we are running out of distinctly recognisable skins to put new gangs in with a few crossovers so yeah, colours'd be nice. Especially since they can be any old hex value.
Troy
kinda dump

Post by Troy »

I was wondering if MCB could get red.
Silver_Leo
BESTMIN
BESTMIN

Post by Silver_Leo »

I think mountain cloud boys rings best with 126.
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ari_Papadopoulos »

totally agree with da op
i've been asking for this on and off since colors went away
Lisye_Buck: this aint fucking role play **
Lisye_Buck: this is fucking retard **
Lisye_Buck: thats bullfuck **

Report from Jay_daWop_Gomezabino: cops arrested me, put me in the car so turtle would bite me to death

Report from Kate_West: (( i will your mother and sister and sisterfucker ))
Troy
kinda dump

Post by Troy »

We'll take white.
Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

Troy wrote:We'll take white.
Civilians already have white. Who is "we"?
Troy
kinda dump

Post by Troy »

Chris Hansen wrote:

Color ID 13 looks good. "We" meaning myself and the ranking officers.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Troy is Mountain Cloud boys.

The way it was long ago
Mafia was red,
Yakuza was grey
Aztecas were the blue color that Vagos are now
Vagos were a lighter yellow than taxi.
Bikers were brownish
Grove was Green
IMPORTS THE BEST GANG EVER was pink

Personally I'd love colors to be bank because it's fairly annoying to /families every 5 seconds.
Zaph: it's like watching cavemen on another planet coming up with how to make the wheel
Jonathan_Ashley: all of those cavemen were abducted by advanced aliens and shown the wheel but at different times and are all trying to hide that they were anally probed

Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

Troy wrote:
Chris Hansen wrote:

Color ID 13 looks good. "We" meaning myself and the ranking officers.
Uhh, LSPD officers already have blue (79), why would it be changed to gray?

Edit: never mind, read below.
Last edited by Chris Hansen on April 11th, 2008, 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

Rob wrote:Troy is Mountain Cloud boys.
Aah, figures he wouldn't specify that then... Yakuza already had gray long ago, Troy. And it's not just for the leader and ranking officers, it's for the entire faction.
The way it was long ago
Mafia was red,
Yakuza was grey
Aztecas were the blue color that Vagos are now
Vagos were a lighter yellow than taxi.
Bikers were brownish
Grove was Green
IMPORTS THE BEST GANG EVER was pink

Personally I'd love colors to be bank because it's fairly annoying to /families every 5 seconds.
Yes, these colors were perfect. I just added a few more given that we have more gangs now. It would also be nice to still be able to do /families # to figure out what rank people in the gang are.

Plus the fact that we're not just limited to the 200 or so colors in GTA, but the entire hex color system, I'm sure we can find colors that are more dissimilar (keeping in mind that orange is reserved for /find, 5 star wanted levels, and 911 calls). Maybe if we freed up lime green from 911 calls, we could have another color.
horatio
kinda dump

Post by horatio »

Oh if it's any hex colors that's great, we could have a lot of colors

Wasn't the whole reason colors were removed because there weren't enough colors for all the new gangs? Why exactly did the families system get put in? Just wondering
Rob

Post by Rob »

The families system was put in because at the time it was a lot easier to just make one gang via families than code them in manually like we had to do previous. It was also the PET PROJECT of Simon B. The admins then implimented a policy of PLAYERS will control the gangs.

This of course backfired because both Simon and Grimlock refused to do jack shit about the gangs under their side, the Blood Eagles (you guys were cocks for a loooooong time), the regulators (see Blood Eagles), the VAGOS (PAPITO WHAT IS UP YO), and the Triads (Useless fucking gang of idiots with Sand Kings). Eventually Mafia stole the Blood Eagles for their subgangs (moving them from 9 to 4 where they reside today) and all the other yakuza subgangs died off because they were fuckwits.

The families system once implimented also remove colors because SOMEBODY HATED COLORS (Simon, Animage/Jon_Do, and the personal yakuza coder Bitzu) and Greg acquiesed to their demands and removed colors. When I asked him who liked it at the time, he said people will have to get used to it. Again, at that time I /aded who all liked and hated the lack of colors, and the response was overwhelmingly I FUCKING HATE THE LACK OF COLORS RARGH both in game and on the forum. Eventually the gang skins got fucked up 20 ways from sunday over the next 3 months after colors were removed.

Personally I think this was all a plot by the colorblind.
Zaph: it's like watching cavemen on another planet coming up with how to make the wheel
Jonathan_Ashley: all of those cavemen were abducted by advanced aliens and shown the wheel but at different times and are all trying to hide that they were anally probed

Rob

Post by Rob »

Also to answer your question, we had enough colors at the time, it was admin and coder impetus to keep them removed.

I actually spent an entire day figuring out different colors for us to use for all 12 gangs which got brushed off.

Jazz_Mesa

Post by Jazz_Mesa »

How about we do that and for the new gangs we wait until we know they are here to stay.
Sammut
Game Name(s): Adrian_Sammut

Post by Sammut »

Yeah. The arguements that were used to remove colors couldn't really hold up but they were kept removed. It'd be nice to have them back and it'd make the player list more colorful :gay:
horatio
kinda dump

Post by horatio »

Thanks for the history Rob, that was cool to read

I had forgotten that BE was a sub gang of Yakuza. I remember Juke telling us in the original thread on tw that he had asked Simon to make BE a subgang, but I'd forgotten about all that
Nurgle
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Nurgle »

Rob wrote:The families system was put in because at the time it was a lot easier to just make one gang via families than code them in manually like we had to do previous. It was also the PET PROJECT of Simon B. The admins then implimented a policy of PLAYERS will control the gangs.

This of course backfired because both Simon and Grimlock refused to do jack shit about the gangs under their side, the Blood Eagles (you guys were cocks for a loooooong time), the regulators (see Blood Eagles), the VAGOS (PAPITO WHAT IS UP YO), and the Triads (Useless fucking gang of idiots with Sand Kings). Eventually Mafia stole the Blood Eagles for their subgangs (moving them from 9 to 4 where they reside today) and all the other yakuza subgangs died off because they were fuckwits.
I SAID IT THEN AND I'LL SAY IT NOW <broken record>
Thesoldier
Donut Chaser
Game Name(s): Daniel_Peters

Post by Thesoldier »

Pretty much what Rob said, Simon and Bitzu were the only one who wanted them to be taken away.

Then again you're talking about the guys who didn't want anyone who was Yakuza making money, taking points, etc... just bring the fucking things back