For bug reports that have been addressed or are not longer relevant

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Rob

Re: Limit one person to one job.

Post by Rob »

No.
Jesus.

No. :suicide:
Zaph: it's like watching cavemen on another planet coming up with how to make the wheel
Jonathan_Ashley: all of those cavemen were abducted by advanced aliens and shown the wheel but at different times and are all trying to hide that they were anally probed

Rod_Orange

Post by Rod_Orange »

I focus on one job for RP reasons. I'm a level 4 drug dealer, and not one of my sales was bogus/spam. I don't like all these fools running around with level 5 everything. Totally un-rpish, and I agree about it ruining the economy.

Limiting one person to one job is too harsh, though. It only hurts noobs that can't afford to contract other peoples services. Maybe a limit on how many jobs one person can master would be better. For instance, reaching level 5 in one job means you can't reach level 5 in any other. This makes much more sense.
Finn
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Finn »

Ludeboye wrote:It will build on your RP style server, having one person covering all fields dosent promote a healthy player run economy.
I beg to differ. Having a skilled and flexible workforce means that when the market is flooded with, say, arms dealers, some of them can go and fill other roles. Let's face it, you're going to pick a job based on what you envisioned your character doing, and not so much what society needs most at that time. If anything, locking people into their jobs will lead to a server with a gross imbalance in job distribution.

Also, lawyers would be pretty screwed.
Finn
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Finn »

Why would you consider jobs C and D inherently less valuable than jobs A and B just because A and B make more money? People who opt to be wheelmen and lawyers are filling an important support niche. Mercenaries barely earn enough to eat, but the inherent combat bonuses and situational tactics make up for it in terms of overall value. I don't see any reason to staple two jobs together and call them "more complete."

If anything, I might see secondary jobs as a feasible option if you could select your secondary job, and then only utilize the first level of it, on the condition that seven or eight additional jobs spring up overnight. Otherwise, there's just too much power being given to too few people (not in terms of exclusiveness so much as personnel required to provide all essential services). I don't see how you could go from "we need fewer people with high levels of expertise in a wide range of skills because it's stifling to the in-game economy" (and I still disagree with you, there) to "we should give everyone TWO jobs at once, thereby fostering more people with high levels of expertise in a wide range of skills." Hell, following that to its logical conclusion, why not just let everyone start at the highest level of proficiency in every which class, and let them decide via RP which one they use?

I guess I really just don't see the problem. I've spent the majority of the game as a wheelman or merc, and I've never felt particularly restricted by the fact that I earn a fraction of what a dealer does.
Ludeboye wrote:I guess limit a person to one job strictly would be too harsh, but a step is needed to fix this issue regardless
I don't want to seem too harsh, but you're the only one of whom I'm aware who sees this as an issue. In that light, I wonder if a step is really "needed," per se, or just desired.
Finn
Lead Coder
Lead Coder

Post by Finn »

I've found it pretty convenient. Never seen it adversely affect anyone's gaming experience, and it does affect all players equally, so I guess I would call it fair, yeah.
Strelok

Post by Strelok »

I think the only job that should even be considered as a secondary should be wheel man.