Frequently Asked Questions

Questions and advice for new players

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Newbie Forum is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or any other disruptive posts may result in punitive action.
john_lukacs
Game Name(s): John_Lukacs John_Bouton

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by john_lukacs »

How do I make money?
There are four main ways of getting money here on SZR

1) Get a job. Of the five jobs currently available, Arms Dealer and Drug Dealer are by far the most lucrative. They offer services that are always in demand. They're also both illegal, so don't be stupid and make open and obvious advertisements, or the LSPD might want to have a talk with you.

2) Activities. Car drops and fishing are "activities" that anyone can do to make some extra money on the side. Both activities are on a timer to avoid spamming, but the more you do them, the more money you get as you level up.

3) Paychecks. Every hour on the hour you will receive a paycheck. The payout is based upon your level and how long you've played, with bonuses for certain job tasks (like /guarding as a mercenary). You have to play at least 20 minutes to receive your check, but even if you haven't played long enough, you'll be credited for the time on the next. EG: 1 hour + 15 minutes if you missed the first.

4) Join a gang. If you're reasonably intelligent and make the effort to RP, chances are you can get into one of the many gangs on the server. Most gangs help their members out financially and at the very least you will have veteran players to help you make your way in the scary ass city of Los Santos.

Do I keep my skill levels when switching jobs?
Yes. You can switch between any jobs and keep the skill levels you gained permanently.

How the hell do I find someone's number?
Call 411 and type the name of the player who you are trying to call.

Can I see a list of useable animations?
Sure thing kid, type /animlist and hit enter. You'll get a list of animations, use them wisely!

Why are the taxi drivers ramming me?! I didn't do anything to them!
Don't sweat, that's just how the taxi drivers are. They're craaaazy, but nice. I think.

Can I buy a house?
Yes, you can. Once you have enough cash (Level 1 House costs 50,000), you find nice residential door (static, non-useable), and type in /buyhouse. Follow the instructions from there and you'll soon be standing in your own little part of San Andreas. If you're ready to upgrade or just sick of having a house, type /sellhouse and you'll get your money back. If you're upgrading, make sure you have the cash, and start from the beginning. (Anyone with further details to housing this please add)

How do I advertise my services?
Use /ad and try to be somewhat subtle if you're advertising illegal activities. Don't say "I'M SELLING GUNS" or "I'M SELLING POT PLZ BUY SOME".

Where can I meet people?
The Shootaz club is currently a hot-spot for selling guns and drugs, and generally just dicking around. Do not shoot anyone in the club unless you have a death wish. Shootaz is found east of the bank, near the large parking lot.

My car is out of gas/on fire!

/service mechanic will let all available mechanics know that you need help with your car. They can /refill your gas, /repair your car, /colorcar your car to have different colors, or give it a paintjob with /paintcar

/service taxi will let all available taxis know that your ass needs to get somewhere! One will shortly arrive at your location to pick you up, and as soon as you enter their cab, you'll pay an automatic fee every 10-15 seconds. Some cabs charge $1, others range to $40. Taxis are fun, and will show you some jumps that will make you crap your pants. Or RP with you until you crap your pants.

I just got killed by some fuckass!
/call 911! You will need to say that you want the police line, and then give a SHORT description of the crime! A good description would be: "Murdered me with an m4!" Then you'll be asked for the name of your attacker. If the cops are doing their job, a patrol car will be sent out to question your attacker. Be aware that if you LIE TO THE POLICE, you'll be getting a hefty fine!
Jackal

Re: FAQ (Now with actual working thread!)

Post by Jackal »

How do I place a hit?

/contract

How come when I call 911 no one comes?

When you call 911, an officer is generally dispatched to the caller. Thus, if you use the service, don't take off, otherwise an officer isn't going to bother chasing you all over the map in order to take your report.
Chumly

Re: FAQ (Now with actual working thread!)

Post by Chumly »

Q: What's a good way to combine mat runs, car dropping, and fishing?

A: First, grab a stopwatch. Now go drop a car at the crane and note the message that tells you how long you must wait before you can drop another car (assume 20 minutes for this example). Begin your stopwatch and then find yourself a car and head to the fishing pier. Once there, catch as many fish as possible. If your fishing skills are at level 2 or higher, throwback any fish weighing less than 20 lbs. and head to the nearest store to sell them using the "/sell fish [fish 1-5]" command for money. If you can still catch a couple more fish go back and do so and sell those, too. Now go to your preferred mat pickup, buy a package using the "/mget" command, and head to your preferred mat factory to exchange the package for actual gun materials using the "/mdeliver" command.

Continue doing mat runs while keeping an eye on your stopwatch. Once it gets within one minute of reaching your /dropcar cooldown of 20 minutes in this example, stop your mat runs and head to the harbor. If a mat pickup is on your way there, then you might as well stop by there real fast to grab a package (when you resume your mat runs you can then head straight for the mat factory). If your timing is good and you can drive safely and undetected at very high speeds, then you will reach the crane at the drop off point very close to when the cooldown timer expires. At that point drop your vehicle (just use the one you're doing mat runs in) and restart your stopwatch. Now start over from the beginning.

This allows you to stock up on mats while also leveling up both your car jacker and fishing skills. As you level those up the money made from them will both pay for your mat packages and leave you with a little extra (a level 1 player with skills at level 1 should be able to come close to covering those mat costs with paychecks and /dropcar). Also to note: as you level up the car jacking skill and reduce the cooldown, you will find that when you go fishing your fishing cooldown will not yet have expired. When that happens just go fishing after every other car drop, rather than initially after every one.

Speed tips:
1. Use a motorcycle, and learn the locations of motorcycle spawns close to the harbor. After dropping the motorcycle from the last mat run, run to the Go-Kart area and grab a Go-Kart, then head to the nearest motorcycle spawn. (Hint: Vagos HQ is one :ssh: but there's others, too.)
2. Use macros (http://www.autohotkey.com/download/).
3. Although I haven't tested this, I believe that if you can drive your motorcycle fast enough you can complete the mat pickup <--> mat factory route faster than you would in a helicopter. Keep in mind, too, that your helicopter pilot could be dumb, slow, and unwilling to try and fly a little faster because of their mistaken belief that doing mat runs in a helicopter will always be faster than doing them in a motorcycle no matter what. :rolleyes: Chances are that most failed at being an arms dealer which is why they're now a wheelman and flying helicopters!
4. Doing mat runs with a buddy will only slow you down. Your motorcycle won't be as fast, and their cooldown might not coincide with yours, especially if their car jacking skill is different from yours. They might also lag a lot forcing you to stop and turn around to pick them up each time they fall off the bike.
Antonio Russo

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Antonio Russo »

Im not going to make any money like this

Quite franky, im mesmorised by the boobies