Materials woes

Place all new suggestions here, for easy viewing.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Suggestions is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or anything other than suggestions or constructive criticism may result in punitive action.
Strange

Re: Materials woes

Post by Strange »

Ari_Papadopoulos wrote: Drug dealing will be getting an overhaul where drugs will have greater value and scarcity soon. Drugs will be able to be bought and sold by non-drug dealers.
There goes the server economy. The way drugs are already is way off base, but to make them cost more than they already do will almost phase them out completely. If that is the case, just take drugs out of the code. Drugs need to be cheaper for the dealers than they are now just to make the job viable. Sure, make them expensive to the low level dealers, but as your level increases, they should become cheaper, so that the higher level dealers can sell to the lower levels in a hierarchy so that the lower level dealers can actually get sales. I agree that a players "sales" for level purposes should not be affected by sales to other dealers, so that they cant just pass them back and forth to get their level up, but who wants to buy 7 grams of whatever, when some other guy can sell 59? The lower levels should be able to get 59 off the high level guys and go sell them to someone else. The higher levels can sell it to them cheaper, so the low level guys can still make some money too.

And to let non-drug dealers sell off drugs? Are you trying to phase out all of the jobs on the server or what? Why even have a drug dealer job if anyone can sell drugs? It's like the car jacker, or prostitute. If anyone can do it, it isn't worth doing. I think that is where the economy on this server is going wrong, money isn't flowing around, because it doesn't have to. I think that only drug dealers should be able to sell drugs, and only gun dealers should be able to sell mats because this gives purpose to those jobs. Also, gun dealers shouldn't be able to make a gun for themselves, they should have to go find someone to either trade with, or buy off of. It just seems like people here want everything to be easy. It isn't supposed to be easy. Thats why there are different jobs that have different abilities, so that people actually have to have the job to gain it's abilities.
Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

Strange wrote:
There goes the server economy. The way drugs are already is way off base, but to make them cost more than they already do will almost phase them out completely. If that is the case, just take drugs out of the code. Drugs need to be cheaper for the dealers than they are now just to make the job viable.
Is $100 per gram of pot really that horrible?
this post was a Serious Post, handcrafted with care for Rachael
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ari_Papadopoulos »

Strange wrote:
Ari_Papadopoulos wrote: Drug dealing will be getting an overhaul where drugs will have greater value and scarcity soon. Drugs will be able to be bought and sold by non-drug dealers.
There goes the server economy. The way drugs are already is way off base, but to make them cost more than they already do will almost phase them out completely. If that is the case, just take drugs out of the code. Drugs need to be cheaper for the dealers than they are now just to make the job viable. Sure, make them expensive to the low level dealers, but as your level increases, they should become cheaper, so that the higher level dealers can sell to the lower levels in a hierarchy so that the lower level dealers can actually get sales. I agree that a players "sales" for level purposes should not be affected by sales to other dealers, so that they cant just pass them back and forth to get their level up, but who wants to buy 7 grams of whatever, when some other guy can sell 59? The lower levels should be able to get 59 off the high level guys and go sell them to someone else. The higher levels can sell it to them cheaper, so the low level guys can still make some money too.

And to let non-drug dealers sell off drugs? Are you trying to phase out all of the jobs on the server or what? Why even have a drug dealer job if anyone can sell drugs? It's like the car jacker, or prostitute. If anyone can do it, it isn't worth doing. I think that is where the economy on this server is going wrong, money isn't flowing around, because it doesn't have to. I think that only drug dealers should be able to sell drugs, and only gun dealers should be able to sell mats because this gives purpose to those jobs. Also, gun dealers shouldn't be able to make a gun for themselves, they should have to go find someone to either trade with, or buy off of. It just seems like people here want everything to be easy. It isn't supposed to be easy. Thats why there are different jobs that have different abilities, so that people actually have to have the job to gain it's abilities.
You have a fundamental lack of understanding of how value works. The reason that drug dealers don't make any money right now, is because there is absolutely no scarcity of drugs, nor is there any work involved in drug running. I've never seen anyone able to sell drugs for more than $100 for pot, and $1000 for crack.

In the new system, drugs will be more scarce, which will actually raise their prices to whatever dealers want to charge. Only drug dealers will be allowed to collect drugs, or create drugs out of materials, but they will be allowed to sell them to anyone. Hence you'll actually be able to make money doing it. Furthermore, lots of new drugs will be added. You'll get a big post on it soon enough.
Lisye_Buck: this aint fucking role play **
Lisye_Buck: this is fucking retard **
Lisye_Buck: thats bullfuck **

Report from Jay_daWop_Gomezabino: cops arrested me, put me in the car so turtle would bite me to death

Report from Kate_West: (( i will your mother and sister and sisterfucker ))
Strange

Post by Strange »

I can see where your coming from Ari, but I feel that you have it backwards. I fully understand the concept of value, and know from experience on other servers that the way you are planning on doing it will turn out poorly. Currently, no, nobody will pay more than $1000 per gram of crack, and increasing the price and making it rarer will not fix this problem. True, if they cost more, people will be forced to pay more, but they will also buy less. The answer here is to make it cheaper, so that drugs will become more common, not scarce. Think about the definition of the word scarce, it infers that there will not be as many of them, so how do you figure that this will increase sales? If you drop the price to say 250/gram for higher level dealers, they can offer drugs for a cheaper price, thus enabling those who can not afford it currently, to be able to purchase them. This will increase sales and make drug dealing a more feasible occupation. The idea is to get money flowing downward to the little people, thus enabling them to spend some of it themselves. This is how an economy works. Or is this proposed change intended to make it so only the rich players can armor up? Because that is all that it will accomplish.
BrotherBlunt
Game Name(s): Brother_Blunt

Post by BrotherBlunt »

And all of that is understandable, but it looks like phasing jobs out of existence.
And no Chris 100 per gram of pot is reasonable enough, it's just to keep some form of grind going on you would want to make jobs harder to do making them more valuable is really my point. Just like increasing contract times. If you make people have to work a job longer, and not anyone can do their job without being in that position. Then you create a value to it, forcing people to have to find gun and drug dealers to prep for points or the street wars.

Also it creates more investigative crimes, allowing the LSPD to do more actual investigating of who is controlling what.
Of course these are all just thoughts bouncing around, it just seems like a really good topic.

I like the code here, I like the changes that are going on, I would hate to see it all become a free reign though.
Next thing you know, the people with money will be running to buy drugs, and mats during battles.
And poor little independent gun dealers get forced out of a job.
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

Strange wrote:I can see where your coming from Ari, but I feel that you have it backwards. I fully understand the concept of value, and know from experience on other servers that the way you are planning on doing it will turn out poorly. Currently, no, nobody will pay more than $1000 per gram of crack, and increasing the price and making it rarer will not fix this problem. True, if they cost more, people will be forced to pay more, but they will also buy less. The answer here is to make it cheaper, so that drugs will become more common, not scarce. Think about the definition of the word scarce, it infers that there will not be as many of them, so how do you figure that this will increase sales? If you drop the price to say 250/gram for higher level dealers, they can offer drugs for a cheaper price, thus enabling those who can not afford it currently, to be able to purchase them. This will increase sales and make drug dealing a more feasible occupation. The idea is to get money flowing downward to the little people, thus enabling them to spend some of it themselves. This is how an economy works. Or is this proposed change intended to make it so only the rich players can armor up? Because that is all that it will accomplish.
First of all, this is 100% speculation on your part.

In the time that arms dealers have been able to sell materials, arms dealers have DOUBLED the profit they make on weapons packages on average. I know this from playing one on here and dealing with dozens of people, buying and selling.

Second, in the new system that you have yet to lay your eyes on, DRUG PRICES ARE NOT INCREASING FOR THE DRUG DEALER. They are staying exactly the same. While I'm not unveiling the system I've come up with yet (because it's subject to change or non-implementation) needless to say drug dealers will stand to make far more money than they currently do.

Also, I don't know anyone who can't afford to purchase drugs to resell.

Report from Jay_daWop_Gomezabino: cops arrested me, put me in the car so turtle would bite me to death

Strange

Post by Strange »

I am beginning to detect a note of hostility, which is not what I was trying to provoke. I was merely playing devil's advocate and attempting to engender some intelligent exchange of ideas. As an aspiring law student, this is something I enjoy. I will cease my argument, and I apologize for my critique.
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

The issue is that your critique is totally baseless. You're imagining that I've said that prices are going up for drugs, and drug dealers. None of this is true.

You're welcome to critique what you know, which is that A.) drug materials will be able to be bought and sold regardless as to the player's job B.) drug materials will need to be converted into drugs by someone with the drug dealer job before use C.) obtaining drugs won't be as easy as driving to the drug house (which will lead to increased scarcity, of which NONE currently exists, which drives up prices for the buyers, raising the profit drug dealers make), but you'll be able to store more drugs than you are currently able to.

Again, I'm happy to receive constructive criticism on these things as long as you leave speculation out of it.

Strange

Post by Strange »

I will await a full description of your system, whenever it is that you deem fit to post one, but from what you have written above, I would have to say that my arguments are in fact valid. As I have said though, I will refrain from continuing to critique it. You are very passionate in the defense of your creation, and I understand this. I don't want any hard feeling between us, and will just move along.
Cyron

Post by Cyron »

So basically what it boils down to, Ari, is that drug dealers are going to get a mat system as well?

I like that idea. It means that you really have to work at the job instead of just meeting up at a drug point once every 20 minutes with 5 people and instantly making 250k.
(( this guy is dangerous, he was clever enough not to admit he was a lawyer )) -Rachael