My case for removing the spamming autowarn

Place all new suggestions here, for easy viewing.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Suggestions is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or anything other than suggestions or constructive criticism may result in punitive action.
Panzerfaust
Game Name(s): Gene_Hunt Marcus_Denroy

My case for removing the spamming autowarn

Post by Panzerfaust »

Over the last little while, I've been noticing an absolute abundance of "my hotkeys got stuck please remove this warning" threads, in addition to people being outright banished due to three warnings as a result of a broken hotkey. To get to the point, I feel that giving out automatic warnings for spamming is massive overkill, since it's unintentional in what seems to be well over 95% of cases. Warnings used to actually mean something, back when they were only given out for actual rule violations. I can't say the same nowadays, since so many people have warnings for something as simple as forgetting to put a sleep command in their AHK and fucking up the script/getting a button stuck/whatever.

My suggestion is simple: instead of warning someone for spamming, set the server to autokick under the same circumstances without warning them. It will immediately remove the strain on the server (unlike autowarnings, which take three to get someone in a place where they can't spam), lets the person know they fucked something up with their hotkeys or whatever, and eliminates "I have one warning for DMing and two for spamming unbanish plz" threads. Suddenly if someone has three warnings, that means a lot more because all of them have been given by admins for legit reasons. At the same time, accidentally holding down a button won't get innocent people warned or banished. If someone keeps coming back and doing the same thing, an admin will quickly notice and ban/banish their ass due to the constant "xxx was kicked for spamming" messages.

Any thoughts? I think it'd be a huge improvement, personally.
Jon Smith

Re: My case for removing the spamming autowarn

Post by Jon Smith »

And what happens if somebody is being chased in combat and holds down their hotkey purposefully to get them kicked from the server to avoid death? Just a thought.
Panzerfaust
Game Name(s): Gene_Hunt Marcus_Denroy

Post by Panzerfaust »

If we gave purposely kicking yourself the same punishment as logging to avoid death and distinguished the message somehow (Saying "Player was autokicked" instead of "Player was kicked", for example), I don't see it being a bigger problem than logging itself is right now. Admins can easily check up on it and punish the person when they return, or recon them to see if they do it, much like they do for loggers now. The only negative is that it gives a slightly more easily arguable case if someone screenshots it and posts it because the admins aren't around/are busy, but if it happens more than once, that excuse will quickly go out the window.
Kitty_Mason
Server Moderator
Server Moderator

Post by Kitty_Mason »

This + warning for every 2 spam kicks.

If someone hasn't learned to put sleep commands in by the time they get banished by that system (which would work out to be 6 times, if it's for spamming alone) - they deserve to be banished. It'd also instantly eliminate anyone using it as an exploit. Well, more than 6 times at most.
Nurgle wrote:kitty 'lol so what i study to design videogames and like cake' koronos
[10:50:31] [command] [Jack_Ree]: /me gets into vagina whole size
[10:06:39] [command] [Kenneth_Taylor]: /t 9923 Don't fuck with me elefant boy
Mikhail_Kalashnikov

Post by Mikhail_Kalashnikov »

How do you put in the sleep command?
Mikhail_Kane
Level 8 Character

A Man trying to make a name for himself.
Rachael
hotdogmin
hotdogmin

Post by Rachael »

[IMG]
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

Kitty_Mason wrote:This + warning for every 2 spam kicks.

If someone hasn't learned to put sleep commands in by the time they get banished by that system (which would work out to be 6 times, if it's for spamming alone) - they deserve to be banished. It'd also instantly eliminate anyone using it as an exploit. Well, more than 6 times at most.
this seems more than reasonable to me. if you can't work out the kinks of hotkey scripting by that point, you need to ask for help or stop using them.