feel like making a new gamemode

Place all new suggestions here, for easy viewing.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Suggestions is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or anything other than suggestions or constructive criticism may result in punitive action.
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

feel like making a new gamemode

Post by brains »

check it out nerds: this is just a little project i've been working on and off on for the last couple months.

it is not necessarily szr-related, and no one is promising anything, especially not me. this is mainly something to keep my coding skills sharp, and to get back to the type of coding that i really miss; that is, playing around and making things just for fun.

that said, this isn't the all-request hour. please don't flood this thread with inane bullshit like "brains make mp5s cost less!!!!!"

if you've got a neat idea, i'm all for hearing it. i just want to make it clear i'm not making szr 2.0, and that this is going to have extremely light roleplay content (if any).

original post wrote: hello i wrote a thing about thing, please to be give feedback

http://livefromthemoon.wordpress.com/20 ... p-outline/

irl note: i'm still in the middle of moving atm (and don't have internet yet), but i'll update with part 2 soon.
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

Re: words

Post by Ari_Papadopoulos »

hi brains

Your lobby/portal idea sounds awesome. We recently talked about making city hall (or pick another building) as a newbie zone where new players go to get a job or meet up with other newbies/helpers. Having a portal/lobby zone where players could choose if they wanted to play a minigame or go out into the gameworld would be great. Additionally, making the transition between gamemodes in an in-character way sounds fantastic just as far as immersion goes, all RP aside.

Re: some kind of roleplay mode

My thesis is that the main things that differentiate roleplay from deathmatch are consistency, and immersion.

Consistency can be defined as anything that allows a player to develop their character. This includes both the simple ability to save a character's skin, name, and inventory, as well as the ability to hold a job or join a faction. This includes abstracts like social relationships between groups and individuals.

Immersion can be defined as anything that makes the player feel more like they are in the game world. An unintrusive GUI, locational chat, a well administrated server without many cheaters and with rules about IC/OOC divides, even including a lack of game-crashing bugs.

There are, of course, all the bells and whistles, but for me, if you were to remove global chat from LVDM it would be an acceptable "roleplay" gamemode, and I think that's true for a lot of us that remember the early sa:mp goontheftauto days. The only reason I mention this is that I don't think basing future plans on the current godfather mode is necessary as I feel like what draws players to SZR is the immersion and the community (believe it or not) rather than the actual gameplay mechanics such as materials running, car dropping, etc.

Apologies if this isn't the kind of feedback you're looking for yet. :)
Lisye_Buck: this aint fucking role play **
Lisye_Buck: this is fucking retard **
Lisye_Buck: thats bullfuck **

Report from Jay_daWop_Gomezabino: cops arrested me, put me in the car so turtle would bite me to death

Report from Kate_West: (( i will your mother and sister and sisterfucker ))
Al_Yu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Al_Yu »

Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)

* Nintendo DSi: Revolutionary or evolutionary?
<DoctorJones> al can you spawn the big smoke statue anywhere?
<&Al_Yu>I break the server enough as it is
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

yeah ill write down some of the ideas i have for the roleplay mode but for now im just concentrating on the master gamemode and user system (so if you have any ideas about user accounts, etc, post them).

also irl update: i should be done moving tomorrow-ish
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

Al_Yu
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Al_Yu »

Those are some pretty good words brains.
<DoctorJones> al can you spawn the big smoke statue anywhere?
<&Al_Yu>I break the server enough as it is
Colorfinger

Post by Colorfinger »

yo lets write some sql
<%mrado> the worst admin to be angry with you is Colorfinger
<%mrado> because Colorfinger is never angry
<%mrado> thats how you know you're a gay jerk
The Captain wrote:
Wally_Stone wrote:
Dom wrote:Colorfinger owns, stop crying.
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

got bored, looked at samp 0.3 beta, wrote this

Code: Select all

- profiteering minigame:
	-- player goal to have the most money at the end of the round
		= end amount/round time determined by number of participating players
	-- players start with fixed monetary amount and weapons
	-- players accumlate money by taking it from other players
	-- upon death, player drops current funds as pickup
		= any player can pick it up, not just the killer
		= possibly only worth 50% of total, to minimize insta-win situations
		= introduces ability to steal money from would-be profiteerer
	-- announcement to all other minigame players upon becoming richest person
		= adds target for other players looking to increase score quickly
		= added danger for top player when trying to get last few amounts
	-- players visually identified by net worth
		= makes it easier for bottom-tier or new players to get money quick
		= adds risk to late game stage
	-- diverse random spawns/spawn protection
		= keeps people from spawn killing and farming money
	-- loss of money for staying in same spot for too long
		= prevents end-game players from hiding away

- dialog based gui, majority of options dialog driven
	-- onplayerclickplayer menu with options for that player
		= based on privledges, ie administrative options for admins
		= most options chat related, maybe something like join gamemode?
		= basic information about player?
	-- /chat, brings up dialog of all available chat channels, dynamically generated based on permissions
		= picking one sets it as default, allowing normal typing to be routed to specific channel
		= use /chat to reset??
		= going for a more intuitive and less complex chat system, current gf garbage sucks
	-- remove/combine/simplify as many commands as possible, especially esoteric commands
	-- greater simplification of group joining process
		= integrate skin selection, etc into initial dialog
		= possibly list available groups and contact info in dialog
	-- on-the-fly group creation and editing of details through gui
	-- all vehicle spawning/modification done through dialogs
workin on thing some parts already done
Ari_Papadopoulos
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ari_Papadopoulos »

Sounds like fun to me. Some ideas:

Let players choose their weapon load-out at the beginning of the round, and after each death. Maybe charge them out of their pool of money for their weapons? Also, what about ammo? If ammo works, you could sell grenades, RPG rounds, etc. If you decide to go with limited ammo for weapons, then killing other players will have the added bonus of getting their guns.

When players obtain money, perhaps it should tick up over time to prevent instant wins. Another possibility is giving a few minutes after a player fulfills the win conditions where the other players can kill him and prevent him from winning.

Money cache locations: Like the pirate ship from LVDM, but instead having money caches spawned randomly at specific locations that contain a certain amount of dollars, picked up over time.

Bleeding: I always liked bleeding in SZR. You could allow players to purchase bandages that stop bleeding and take time to apply, but it's nice to have a way to prevent players from running away forever.

An option for a team-based gamemode that is identical but with official teams?

Kickvote + temp bans?

Last, a question: How do players find other players? Do they all show up on the mini-map?
Lisye_Buck: this aint fucking role play **
Lisye_Buck: this is fucking retard **
Lisye_Buck: thats bullfuck **

Report from Jay_daWop_Gomezabino: cops arrested me, put me in the car so turtle would bite me to death

Report from Kate_West: (( i will your mother and sister and sisterfucker ))
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

:aslol: breakin it down :aslol:
Ari_Papadopoulos wrote:Sounds like fun to me. Some ideas:

Let players choose their weapon load-out at the beginning of the round, and after each death. Maybe charge them out of their pool of money for their weapons? Also, what about ammo? If ammo works, you could sell grenades, RPG rounds, etc. If you decide to go with limited ammo for weapons, then killing other players will have the added bonus of getting their guns.
haven't really thought about buying weapons, i guess it makes sense as a money-sink though so it'll probably factor in somehow
When players obtain money, perhaps it should tick up over time to prevent instant wins. Another possibility is giving a few minutes after a player fulfills the win conditions where the other players can kill him and prevent him from winning.
love having the about-to-win-dude have to stay at the top for x amount of time, this is the best. also where the 50% drop really comes into play.
Money cache locations: Like the pirate ship from LVDM, but instead havening money caches spawned randomly at specific locations that contain a certain amount of dollars, picked up over time.
i dunno about this, i'd rather trade random luck for intentional stealing. maybe for teamplay.
Bleeding: I always liked bleeding in SZR. You could allow players to purchase bandages that stop bleeding and take time to apply, but it's nice to have a way to prevent players from running away forever.
ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
An option for a team-based gamemode that is identical but with official teams?
already planned but with a few key changes.
Kickvote + temp bans?
of course
Last, a question: How do players find other players? Do they all show up on the mini-map?
player icon alpha settings based on net worth, so bill gates' icon is solid while joe broke is nearly invisible.

also now is a good time to mention this is really more of a plan for a minigame inside mystery mode that would be played live in a specific section of a city (i.e. only in chinatown sf, somewhere in the middle of a city), where players are free to come and go, but those who enter the zone are de facto targets for everyone currently playing the minigame. obviously exiting the zone disqualifies you from winning (and maybe removes your earnings).

got that mysql mystery magic workin on this :smug:
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

hmmm
Attachments
sa-mp-001.png
sa-mp-001.png (1.47 MiB) Viewed 7164 times
sa-mp-002.png
sa-mp-002.png (1.91 MiB) Viewed 7164 times
brains
live from the moon
live from the moon

Post by brains »

[19:14] <brains> cheque out this exclusive inside look at new mystery mode
[19:14] <brains> if(strcmp(cmd, "/drink", true) == 0) {
[19:14] <brains> 		SetPlayerDrunkLevel(playerid,50000);
[19:14] <brains> 		SendClientMessage(playerid,COLOR_SYSTEM,"youre drink!!!");
[19:14] <brains>     	return 1;
[19:14] <brains> 	}
[19:14] <~SALMON> lol
[19:14] <~SALMON> what does setplayerdrunklevel do
[19:14] <brains> i dunno but it goes up to 50000
[19:14] <brains> which owns
bonus content:

[19:16] <brains> im going to change it so you dont see the skin select screen anymore
[19:16] <brains> when you join a server
[19:16] <brains> just a single dialog
[19:16] <~SALMON> good that thing stinks
[19:16] <brains> that say 'get crunked up?'
[19:17] <brains> with 2 options: yes and yes
[19:17] <~SALMON> give them a choice of teams or whatever like sf tdm or whatever and if they dont pick ballas ban them
[19:17] <brains> lol
Slopko
kinda dump
Game Name(s): Slopii_Pimpins

Re: feel like making a new gamemode

Post by Slopko »

Would it be possible to code goomba stomps in samp? Like in TF2/mario where you jump/land on someones head and they die.
L
A
T
E
R
S
David_York

Post by David_York »

Here's my idea thus far.

_______
It's basically turf wars + szr.

Territory:
- Either LS, SF or LV will be ENTIRELY covered in territory that can be captured.
- The territories that you capture produce revenue that go to your factions fbalance.
- This revenue can be put towards weapons, drugs, houses, cars, gang cars, etc...

Money:
- Small paychecks. Might have to remove this later on.
- Bank to store money.
- fbalance
- Maybe have a mayor who can do something to keep us from inflating our asses.

Weapons/Drugs:
- The ammunations purchasing menu is too easy to hack so purchasing weapons would be similar to SZR (mat running etc...). Or you could use /buy and would require you to type /buy 1-9 or some shit.
- Drugs would run similar to SZR. At first it will but we could change it.

Families:
- People can make factions just like szr. They can also have headquarts and gang cars.
- Families get a fbalance.

Factions:
- law enforcement and taxi will become its own family and can take territory.

Jobs:
- Arms/Drug dealers, maybe.
- Wheelmen.
- Mercenary.
DUMB IDIOT 2

Post by DUMB IDIOT 2 »

That's pretty much SZR, only with points replaced by turfs.
John_Pendergast

Post by John_Pendergast »

Alex_Zaytsev wrote:That's pretty much SZR, only with points replaced by turfs.
No it's actually "The Godfather". SZR gamemode is a godfather-edit, so does a lot of server. (Good edit, though). This idea of David is a dulled version of GF.
John Pendergast
David_York

Post by David_York »

On SZR we have goals such as becoming the biggest family with the most money, power, and gun/drug supply. But these goals are not put to their full potential because they are not main goals. On SZR you just hang out, rp a little, shoot someone and so on. But with this gamemode, there will be goals that you will be constantly competing with no matter what.
Chris Hansen
can't find his mod
can't find his mod

Post by Chris Hansen »

brains can you make a gamemode that lets me rp a building
this post was a Serious Post, handcrafted with care for Rachael
Bankwell

Post by Bankwell »

I've seen it before, with what David is talking about. Not necisarily turfs, but with powerful families, maybe a family ranking system that shows up every hour/paycheck? It could base off number of players, points, and money in the fbalance. Like I said, I've seen it before, and with what I know about coding, wouldn't know the right way to code it.
willio_sayen1 wrote:sadly ima magc boy
main account:
kody_bankwell

alt account:
kojiro_nakamura
David_York

Post by David_York »

I'm not saying it's a gold idea, it'll need work but it's something to look into.
Juke
yardmin
yardmin

Post by Juke »

You should need to stay near the body for awhile to pick up the money, longer depending on how much cash they had on them. OR instead of instantly transferring the cash, little cash pickups pop out in a fairly large spread around the body. Will create good fights after someone goes down and prevent vultures from cherry picking someone else's kill.

Whenever a big money player dies, the server should announce it and give an approximation of where he died to all players. Will constantly create good battles and naturally concentrate the players in a smaller area.
bairns wrote: -- loss of money for staying in same spot for too long
= prevents end-game players from hiding away
It would be better if you just put a map marker or something on them. An entire-server shootout as some jerk tries to D up in a fortress sounds bad butt as heck.
Last edited by Juke on October 21st, 2009, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leo_Cash

Post by Leo_Cash »

David_York wrote:Factions:
- law enforcement and taxi will become its own family and can take territory.
I dont really like this, It will be unfair for other gangs to fight with PD and uh...taxi?
Make turf for PD and Taxi that cant be taken by anyone else. Just around their hq's
TatsuyaNakajima
kio

Post by kio »

i wish there was a gamemode where i can advance in single player with my friend
cHR0ME
Game Name(s): Chrome

Post by cHR0ME »

How about adding in some cool animations! Like so we can smoke cigars. Or put in a social security number for everyone, so like cops can scan there shit and see what they have done. Or so faction leaders can put there SS number in and see past gangs they have been in and so we can do background checks on people...
Slopko
kinda dump
Game Name(s): Slopii_Pimpins

Post by Slopko »

Make a gary's mod type mode on MTA.
L
A
T
E
R
S