car talk

Place all new suggestions here, for easy viewing.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Server Moderators

Forum rules
Suggestions is a moderated OOC forum.

Inflammatory bullshit, thread de-railing, or anything other than suggestions or constructive criticism may result in punitive action.
Juke
yardmin
yardmin

car talk

Post by Juke »

add [low] to /c again so people know when something is local or /c

local and /c only transmit to people in car. while in a car with the window down, include [low] or [car] or something so people understand that they're only transmitting to the car. /window will "/me rolls down the car's window" and change this behavior so local will transmit normally but /c will remain car only. /window again will "/me rolls up the car's window"

maybe exclude open vehicles like caddys / bikes / motorcycles from this behavior
Adj

Re: car talk

Post by Adj »

I do like to have /c with the [low] prefix again.
I also like /c only transmitting inside the car.

The window system, and local transmitting in the car by default, I have some doubts with. People are lazy and go with the default, hence less interaction caused by people interfering because they heard something, or simply joining in on the chat while surfing on the car. No more "oh shit did he hear that".

Also people are used to local transmitting at wide range, many new guys included. If you approach a new guy in a car and talk to him from outside the car, there's a good chance he won't understand how to talk outside of the car.

It's a bit weird that local talk comes in but doesn't go out.

It'd be weird to have different transmitting distances between /b and /l(ocal).

It has been tried in SZR History (local transmitting in the car). It was not appreciated, but back then it didn't have the [car] prefix and /window feature.

In short, I'm in doubt about local talk not reaching outside the car by default, but /c (for close talk and car-only) with the [low] prefix should definitely be in.
Juke
yardmin
yardmin

Post by Juke »

Adj wrote:No more "oh shit did he hear that".
that shouldn't be something you have to worry about - it always annoyed me that it's impossible to have a private conversation inside a car
Adj wrote:If you approach a new guy in a car and talk to him from outside the car, there's a good chance he won't understand how to talk outside of the car.
i think if it showed [low] or [car] or something inside the car it would be self evident. if people don't understand then they don't understand roleplay anyways and there are bigger problems
Adj wrote:It's a bit weird that local talk comes in but doesn't go out.
good point - keep local chat outside the car from transmitting in?
Adj wrote:It'd be weird to have different transmitting distances between /b and /l(ocal).
meh - it's ooc so it doesn't really matter who hears it
Adj wrote:It has been tried in SZR History (local transmitting in the car).
when was that
Adj

Post by Adj »

Juke wrote:it always annoyed me that it's impossible to have a private conversation inside a car
/c will solve this
Juke wrote: i think if it showed [low] or [car] or something inside the car it would be self evident. if people don't understand then they don't understand roleplay anyways and there are bigger problems
Possibly, but a prefix to tell you you're talking from within the car don't prove others can't hear it and /window isn't something you're known to at that time.

Besides, if one doesn't understand roleplay, the person should learn it. More obstacles to interaction with other players lowers the chance the person will learn. When I began I didn't understand why no one responded when I talked local and almost left. As soon as I did manage to communicate with others I started to learn.
Juke wrote: good point - keep local chat outside the car from transmitting in?
Would make sense if it can't go out neither, but I don't like the isolation it brings. It'll be harder to find interaction.
Juke wrote:
Adj wrote:It'd be weird to have different transmitting distances between /b and /l(ocal).
meh - it's ooc so it doesn't really matter who hears it
It's still weird. /b is often connected to local chat, for corrections, lols, ooc questions about the RP or off-topic comments, etc. If one only hears half of it it's weird, and /b being in-car only also sucks.
Juke wrote:when was that
It was probably before the first wipe, can't find anything about it on the forums though. Not that it matters, it's not that good of a comparison.

in-car chat is awesome, but making it the default seems like a bad idea to me. /c should deliver for this.

If local chat should be able in-car-only, a switch like your /window could be a nice addition, but with a different default. Problem is it's only a small addition then, while it's quite some coding.
Tyrone_Phillips
Abuses Ads for Free
Game Name(s): Tyrone_Phillips

Post by Tyrone_Phillips »

Set the "window" to be down by default, and adding this can only help. If people don't like the feature, they wouldn't have to use it, and if it was off by default, they would never notice.

"[1/4/13] * @RPTV (~[email protected]) Quit (Quit: sorry bro mom has to check email)"
simon_bg
Game Name(s): some mexican dude

Post by simon_bg »

Maybe if all windows are up and someone outside the car says something, all the people inside the car see a message "(The outside guy's name) moves his lips as if he's saying something".
Hope Vince gets that ring in Dallas.